Printable PDF

Parking Overnight in MN State Parks

Print out these instructions AND take them with you.



If you are planning to park overnight at one of the state parks along the Superior Hiking Trail, please read carefully.

You must pay to have your vehicle within any Minnesota state park  AND  also have the vehicle registered (at no charge) to be within the park after 10:00 PM

-Your first option for payment is to have a current Minnesota State Park permit affixed to the lower passenger side of the front window. The yearly cost is $25.00.

If you do not currently have a yearly state park permit, the easiest thing to do is bring $25.00 cash for the yearly permit (or $5.00 cash for every day your car will be parked inside the park).

Upon arriving at the state park you may find that there are no state park staff available to take your money and issue you your permit.  If staff are available…Great!…Don’t count on it.

IMPORTANT!   If you are on your own to register your vehicle, do the following:

!. Find the building (or kiosk) where campers self register.

-Jay Cooke SP. Go 1.5 miles from the west park entrance on Highway 210 out of Carton/Thompson to the Jay Cooke SP headquarters lot. This is where you can register with park staff or use the self-service registration envelopes if building is closed.

Gooseberry Falls SP has a camper registration building (as well as the main big Visitor Center). After entering off of Hwy 61, take the first right heading toward the campground and you will see the registration building about 200 yards down the road. There is a stop sign right in front of it.The main visitor may be closed and of no value to you. 

Split Rock Lighthouse SP also has a registration  building about 300 yards off Hwy 61 (up a big hill) with a stop sign in front of it.

Tettegouche SP has both the big main visitor center. and a small kiosk to the right of the V.C. directly next to where firewood is sold. You can register at the little kiosk. By all means, go into the V.C. if it is open to have them register you. By the way you can also get what you need for Crosby-Manitou SP here if you choose to.

Crosby-Manitou SP.  There is a kiosk about 300 yards down the entry road. No Stop sign present.

Temperance River SP.  The main entrance is well marked on the Grand Marais side of the river and on the lake side of the road. The building you are looking for is about 150 yards within the park with a stop sign in front of it.

Cascade River SP. Drive beyond the Cascade River about 1/2 mile and the park entrance is on the inland side of Hwy 61.  The building you want is about 400 yards inland and it, too, has a stop sign in front of it.

Judge Magney SP. The registration building is only about 100 yards off Hwy 61.  Most often there are no staff present, but this is where you self register anyway. There is a stop sign here also.

2. Fill out the Minnesota State Parks Payment Envelope. ( they will be readily available here.

If you need (and want) the year-round permit put $25.00 in the envelope and fill out your mailing address  in the space provided. They will mail you your yearly permit. If you choose to pay by the day the fee is $5.00 a day (note that one night equals two days parking in the park)

Also fill out your vehicle license plate number on both the envelope and the rip-off tab.  The envelope is put in the “night deposit” box and the rip-off tab gets put on the dashboard of your vehicle. At Jay Cooke SP you can also leave a message at 218-673-7000

You may also pay by credit card and there is a space to do that if you so choose.

3. Remember that if you already have a yearly state park permit, you must still fill out the car information on the envelope and put the envelope in the night deposit box and put the rip-off tab on your dashboard. No charge for this. All vehicles must be registered to be in the parks past 10:00PM.


Jay Cooke SP. You may park in the lot directly in font of the park headquarters building. Please also put your intended date of return on the self registration envelope and the tear-off tab that you put on the dashboard of your vehicle.

Gooseberry SP Continue past the “stop sign” where you and the  campers registered and drive straight in (not right into the campground) to a very big oval parking lot that can hold about 100 cars. It is about 1/4 mile going toward Lake Superior. This is also where the Gitchi-Gami Bike Trail terminates (between two Handicapped Parking signs). You need to have made a reservation with us to be picked up there. Should any park staff tell you we don’t pick up there,well…WE DO! This lot is called the “Picnic Flow”lot on the SP maps. See you there! Please be ready to board prior to our departure time.

Split Rock SP. Continue past the stop sign about 35 yards and turn right down a long hill.  A sign will  be directing you toward the “campground” and “picnic area”.  The middle of 3 lots is Pebble Beach and it is well marked with a “Pebble Beach” sign. Here and only here is where we pick you up. It is very important that you land in the correct lot since cell signals are rare if never here. Reservation only. We have to know you are there.

Tettegouche SP. The “Trail Center” lot is about one mile inland. You actually drive along side the parking lot in in front of the big visitor center, go down a hill, cross over the Baptism River on a very narrow bridge and then drive under Hwy 61 to get there.There is a sign that says “Trail Center” which is then about 40 yards further up the road.  There is about a 200 yard spur trail going from this lot up to the SHT.

You can also park in front of the Visitor Center but that is for day hiking only. If you wanted to park here, there is about a one mile spur trail that goes along side the river that you could take to get up to the SHT.

Please keep in mind that State Hwy 1 Trailhead is right next to Tettegouche on the east side and is also an excellent choice for starting your hike. No permits required there.

Crosby-Manitou SP. The overnight parking is about 1/4 mile past the entry kiosk. The road splits just beyond the kiosk.  Go left. Besides, the road to the right his almost always gated. Please remember you can register for this park at Tettegouche easier and there is virtually no staff present at CM.

Temperance River SP. After getting your registration taken care of below the highway, turn around (at the little stop sign) and drive back to Hwy 61.  After stopping for traffic- be careful- drive directly across Hwy 61 and go inland (across the bike trail) and about 150 yards beyond the bike trail is a maintenance area. There is usually some sort of gravel pile there. Park beyond the gravel pile along a sort of fence line. If any park staff tell you we don’t pick up there, well…WE DO. Wait for us right by your car.  Keep in mind, this is a “reservation only” pick up.  We absolutely need to know you are there!

Cascade River SP.  After getting your registration taken care of, drive into the campground and park on either side of the “trail Center” cabin.  Sit (or stand) by the picnic tables in front of the little cabin.  Remember, this is “reservation only”.

Judge Magney SP.  Continue in beyond the registration building and about 200 yards ahead the only parking area in the park (besides the campground itself) opens up . There are picnic tables on one side of the lot. See you there!

Although very safe, parking within state parks is at your own risk.

PLEASE EVERYONE…..Keep your cell phones on until after we pick you up. Thanks.

Superior Hiking Shuttle Service Staff, 2016

Robert, Robi, Ken, Monica, Gary, Jane, Micki, Scott, Mary Ellen, Cheryl, Paige, Sue


(main phone is a cell phone)